English 101 Day 26
1. H/W: Read to chapter 21 by Tuesday
Rough draft of essay 2 due tomorrow.
Final Draft Due in a week +1 day (November 1st)
Study guide questions due Thursday.
2. Bonus points?
3. I liked watching the movie on Friday, but let’s kick it into gear today.
4. Anybody off the truck?
5. Narrative help (we’ll discuss dialogue on Thursday or Friday)
i. Look at how ma’s described.
ii. Try it with your own characters.
1. He/She was the kind of person who.
2. How well do you know your characters?
"If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there."
1. Time & Place (physical environment)
For example: Greasy Lake, The Storm,
o Write about the time: (five minutes)
you watched light settle on the water
you saw the first smudge of dawn
you woke before the others
o Write about something from memory that seems lit by a particular kind of light. (from Grapes of Wrath, Steinbeck)
o There was this one tree.
o 5 w’s