Mockingbird Short Answer Study Questions
- How does Jem change?
- What does Scout learn about Calpurnia?
- Who was waiting for the children when they came home from the church service? Why
had she come?
4. "Aunt Alexandra fitted into the world of Maycomb like a hand in a glove, but never into the
world of Jem and me." Explain.
5. Atticus and Alexandra disagree about how to deal with the children. How does Atticus
handle the situation?
6. Describe Jem and Scout's relationship through these chapters as Jem matures.
7. Why did Dill run away from home back to Maycomb?
- What did Mr. Heck Tate's mob want?
- What was the purpose of Walter Cunningham's mob?
- Why did Mr. Cunningham's mob leave?
- Identify Mr. Dolphus Raymond.
5. What was the importance of Mayella's bruises being primarily on the right-hand side of
- What was Tom's handicap? Why was it important to his case?
- What do Dill and Scout learn from Mr. Raymond?
- Summarize Atticus' closing remarks to the jury.
- What was the jury's verdict?
- Why did Jem cry?
- What was "'round the back steps" when Calpurnia came in on Monday morning?
- What was the significance of Maudie's two little cakes and one large one?
- Describe Bob Ewell's meeting with Atticus at the post office.
- What is Atticus' reaction to Ewell's threats?
- Alexandra doesn't want Scout playing with Walter Cunningham. Why not?
7. Jem said. "I think I'm beginning to understand why Boo Radley's stayed shut up in the
house all this time . . . it's because he wants to stay inside." Why does he say that?