English 101 Fall 2010 Day 2
1. Photographs, part two.
a. Quiz Friday
2. Food for Thought—Review and hand in w/names. (10pts)
3. Rituals and Rites of Passage
a. What is a ritual?
i. Any regular activity done in a set pattern can be ritualistic.
2. How do rituals help?
Tell us how to relate to and give meaning to experience.
Aid or guide life’s transitions.
4. Homework: Create Your Own Rite of Passage. Due Tomorrow. Some of the five steps can use same language. Must be “do-able” at YVCC. Bring props if you’d like us to try your rite of passage.
5. What makes a hero?
6. Star Wars or Avatar or Lion King or Harold and Kumar?
7. Hero’s Journey Overview.
8. Homework, read 49-72 in packet.