English 101 Fall 2010 Day 1
1. What is your morning ritual?
a. Why do you do things this way?
2. Stonehenge at Solstice and in 3 days at Equinox.
a. Traditional/“Primitive” v. Modern rituals
b. What’s missing from modern rituals?
3. What is the meaning of an experience?
a. For example, First Day of Class or Autumnal Equinox?
i. Polysemous. (many potential meanings)
ii. How does a culture stick together this way?
4. Rituals and Rites of Passage
a. What is a ritual?
i. Any regular activity done in a set pattern can be ritualistic.
1. Other examples? Greeting friends, performance, dress, athletics, getting ready to go out.
2. How do rituals help?
b. Why do we ritualize?
i. We all ritualize, some may not recognize it.
ii. Tell us how to relate to and give meaning to experience.
iii. Aid or guide life’s transitions.
5. Rites of Passage
a. Modern? 21ers/Driver’s License/Teams/Graduations/Gangs/Religious/
6. Specifically, Rites of Passage
a. growth of individuals and communities.
b. Examples of traditional and modern rites of passage.
7. Read Rituals and Rites of Passage H/O if time.
10. For Homework: Read Rituals and Rites of Passage, complete Food for Thought.
11. Read in class for in class tomorrow: Create Your Own Rite of Passage for the “First Day of Class”—it has to be “doable” at YVCC.
a. If you need to bring props, bring props.
Buy To Kill a Mockingbird and suggested, A Writer’s Reference.