Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Day 7

English 101 Summer 2010 Day 7

  1. Tomorrow: Meet in lab. Be sure you can log on. Bring something to save your work with (or email it to yourself).
  2. Homework for Tomorrow: Read A1 and A2 in Hacker, "Constructing reasonable arguments" (57-76).
  3. What did you think of the articles? What surprised you? What could you use in your essay?
  4. The Writing Process—C1
    1. Planning
      1. Assess the situation.
        1. Topic: Victor Joseph's Hero's Journey
        2. Audience: Instructor, classmates, others in college
        3. Purpose: To explain the transformation of Victor using the Hero's Journey archetype
        4. Deadlines: July 7th/July 12th
        5. Length: 3-5 pages, double spaced, MLA format.
        6. Sources of information: Film, web, handouts, short story.
      2. Exploring ideas
        1. Talking and Listening
        2. Annotating Texts
        3. Listing
        4. Clustering
        5. Freewriting
        6. Asking Journalist's Questions
        7. Read/Research
      3. Formulating a tentative thesis (10)
        1. Is it too obvious?
        2. Can you support your thesis with the evidence available?
        3. Does the thesis require an essay's worth of development or will you run out of points too quickly?
        4. Can you explain why readers will want to read an essay with this thesis?
          1. Powerpoint.
      4. Sketching a plan.
        1. Powerpoint.
    2. Drafting
      1. Powerpoint
      1. Introduction.
      2. Body
        1. Headings?
        2. Visuals?
      3. Conclusion
    3. Revising
    4. Presenting


 

6 comments:

Sandi M said...

I found that class today was very informative on the essay processes that has been hard for me in the past

Jackson said...

I always struggle with the conclusion... It's like I pound through the introduction and the body, but by the time I'm ready to finish I run out of steam.

B.Herron said...

I struggle most with my transitions. I tend to jump from one topic to another, and then back.

Dave M. said...

My wife told me she likes to start by writing her last paragraph first, then write the essay to the conclusion - says it keeps her focused and avoids running out of steam. I might try it once I get my essay legs back...

Unknown said...

I usually start with the last paragraph as well.

Unknown said...

It has been a long time since I have taken an english class so I'm really thankful that you go over this stuff that most might find repetative but there are those like me who find it very helpful.